Traditionally, I've been the guy that gets asked to build the reunion website --- as I'm involved in the planning meetings. Through the years, I've built a few high school reunion sites and a family reunion site. Through the process I have reused much of the code, yet they have all been "custom" websites. Although I had big plans to make my code generic enough that anyone could create a reunion site, I never took the time to do it. Since creating my last reunion site there have been a number of others that have taken the time to do this. For example, Ning and MyEvent are among a host of such sites that people have used to create reunion sites.
Currently, I believe that the quickest and most efficient way to do a reunion website is on Facebook. Here are a few reasons why I currently believe it to be most efficient solution:
- It is free
- No coding is necessary (saving time and money)
- Lots of your family is likely already using Facebook, so they will not have to register for another account or re-enter information
- People using Facebook already have media shared and can easily share more, which makes it easy to "catch-up" with family members
- It is easy to create a Group specifically for you family reunion allowing family members to join
- It is easy to create a "Related Event" for the group (i.e., the reunion activities) that members can easily indicate whether or not they plan to attend
- In general, it is much more interactive than any of the other reunion sites
- It may even be "one of the most fulfilling experiences of [your] life"
- The Network will continue on, even after your planned event is over