Wednesday, March 26, 2008

SIP Recap - Wednesday

I'm here in Palo Alto, California attending the AAAI Spring Symposium at Stanford. So far, the Social Information Processing Symposium has been very interesting and exciting. So far, I've met some people doing some neat research. Today's presentations were the following (I've added links to those I could find online):
  1. Bernardo Huberman (HP Labs), Social Dynamics in the Age of the Web
  2. Ed Chi (PARC), Augmented Social Cognition
  3. Tad Hogg (HP Labs), Solving the organizational free riding problem with social networks
  4. Riley Crane (ETH), Viral, Quality, and Junk Videos on YouTube: Separating Content From Noise in an Information-Rich Environment
  5. Yi-Ching Huang (NTU), You Are What You Tag
  6. Julia Stoyanovich (Columbia), Leveraging Tagging to Model User Interests in del.icio.us
  7. Steve Whittaker (Sheffield), Temporal Tagging: Implicit Behaviour Identifies Points of Interest in Complex Event
  8. Georg Groh, Implicit Social Network Construction and Expert User Determination in Web Portals
  9. Elizeu Santos-Neto, Content Reuse and Interest Sharing in Tagging Communities
  10. Matt Smith (BYU), Social Capital in the Blogosphere: A Case Study (this was our presentation, of course)
I enjoyed all of the presentations, in particular I liked Bernardo's address which covered a variety of interesting topics, Ed's comments, Riley's trend analysis, Julia's talk analyzing del.icio.us hotlist generation and tag, Steve's flamboyant presentation, Georg's work (as it had some thoughts related to our work on Implicit Affinity Networks).

(Oh, and I lost my cell phone today.)

I'm looking forward to another great day tomorrow!

No comments: